The Bourtons - Village Hall
The Bourtons Village Hall is the old Methodist chapel on Main Street in Great Bourton. It was purchased by the Parish Council for the Bourtons in 1996 for use as a Village Hall. The Village Appraisal in 1993 showed that the villagers perceived a need for a village hall - 63% of the 394 respondents thought that the provision of a village hall was important or very important.
The building dates from 1932, when the Great Bourton Methodist Church (Banbury Circuit) was built on the site of the old chapel they had purchased from the Congregationalists in 1924. The photograph shows the original building. More history here.
The hall is now used in a number of ways, through regular bookings and one-off events. It is owned by Bourtons Parish Council, which leases the Hall to the Village Hall Management Committee for a peppercorn rent. The Committee also controls the bookings.